Compulsory basic training (CBT)

Most learner motorcycle and moped riders must take compulsory basic training (CBT) before riding on the road.

Important things you should know about Compulsory basic training.

  • Once you have your CBT you have to pass your full motorcycle test within 2 years or you’ll have to take the course again.
  • You need to book CBT through an approved training body (ATB) – Solo Motorcycle Training is an approved training body – ATB

When you are not required to take a CBT

  • If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you don’t need to take CBT to ride a moped. See our classification of mopeds
  • If you have a full moped licence from passing a full moped test after 1 December 1990
  • If you have a full motorcycle licence for one category and want to upgrade to another
  • Certain offshore islands of the UK. See the UK Government Guide Here

Call Solo Motorcycle Training on 0161 456 6757 to book your CBT.

What CBT involves

Compulsory basic training (CBT) has 5 elements:

  • introduction and eyesight check
  • practical on-site training
  • practical on-site riding
  • practical on-road training
  • practical on-road riding

You’ll move from one element to the next when we are you have done the following:

  • learnt the theory
  • shown the practical skills to a safe basic level

How many people you may train with

You might train with other learners. We take a maximum number of:

  • 4 learners per trainer for on-site elements
  • 2 learners per trainer for on-road elements

CBT certificate of completion

When you complete compulsory basic training to at least the minimum standard, you’ll get a certificate of completion – also called a DL196.

Your certificate of completion lets you ride a moped or a motorbike up to 125cc on the road with L plates for 2 years (L or D plates in Wales).

CBT if you have a car driving licence

If you passed your car driving test before 1 February 2001 you can ride a moped without completing compulsory basic training (CBT).

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 February 2001, you must complete a CBT course to confirm your full moped licence. This means you won’t have to take CBT every 2 years to continue riding a moped.

If you already have a CBT certificate and then pass your car test, you can ride a moped without L plates without taking the full motorcycle test.

In this case the CBT certificate for riding mopeds will last for as long as your car licence.

See our other motorcycle training courses

A CBT Session In Action

To Book A CBT With Solo

Call 0161 456 6757 or email to book, enquire or discuss any aspect of motorcycle training. Book Now !